Tuesday 22 December 2009

I've been writing here so rarely that this blog begins to look like an abandoned one. I have no idea what's happened with the time from November to December, but it seems I haven't been here at all. My fault. In order to make up for that vast absence, I'd like to present you with one of my favourite Christmas songs ever - The Twelve Days of Christmas. It is old, it was first published in some songbook in 1870, and singing it is fun, because every stanza adds up a new item to remember.
The idea of Twelve Days instead of one or two that are typically celebrated nowadays dates back to the times when people used to feast all over the Christmastide - starting on December 25, foinishing a day before The Feast of the Epiphany (January 6).
Enjoy listening, and fill in the gaps:) The full version is HERE. As I said, singing it is a great experience and a training of memory, too. My whole family enjoys that song a lot.



Twelve Days of Christmas
(traditional English Christmas carol, 1870)

1. On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
A____________ in a _______________________.

2. On the second day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Two ________ _________,
And ...

3. On the third day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Three ____________ ________________,
Two …

4. On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Four _______________ _______________,
Three …

5. On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Five ___________ ___________
Four …

6. On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Six ____________ a-______________,
Five…

7. On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Seven ___________ a-_____________,
Six...

8. On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Eight _____________ a-______________,
Seven…

9. On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Nine _______________ ________________,
Eight…

10. On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Ten ____________ ______________,
Nine…

11. On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Eleven ___________ ________________,
Ten...

12. On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me
Twelve ______________ _______________,
Eleven _______________ ____________,
Ten ____________ a-______________,
Nine ______________ _______________,
Eight ______________ _______________,
Seven ______________ _______________,
Six ______________ _______________,
Five ______________ _______________,
Four ______________ _______________,
Three ______________ _______________,
Two ______________ _______________,
And a ______________ in a ________ _______!

No comments:

Post a Comment