Monday 14 February 2011

on the dangers of reading in a coffee shop

A coffee shop is not always the best place to read books, even if it is Starbucks with delicious beverages. There is something off-putting in this totally exposed lounge, in the proximity of tables - even though they've furnished the place with cosy sofas and armchairs, you are still just inches away from your neighbour.

So, yesterday I needed just twenty minutes to have a hot chocolate and finish reading "The Horse and His Boy" - one of the Chronicles of Narnia. I had cherished the very thought of such a luxury and looked forward to it with the enthusiasm of a child beginning vacation. However, I was disturbed all the time by the couple sitting at the nearest table, who quite freely discussed the complexities of their sex life. Actually, "sex lives," one should say, because it was actually some sort of counselling, the woman sharing her experience to help the man sort things out for himself with his girlfriend. I will not condescend to quoting.

Enchanted by C.S. Lewis's storytelling and the complete universe he was able to create, I felt I belonged somewhere else, where you can chivalric ideals, honour, friendship - and one true love in a lifetime. The question is: do we have to enter it these days through a closet? Wardrobe, I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment